privacy & legal policies
Habitat for Humanity will record your information to keep you informed on Habitat’s work. This information may be accessed only by designated Habitat staff and you have the right to inspect and update the details at any time.
- Make a donation
- Register for an event
- Sign up for a Newsletter
- Otherwise provide information via the Habitat website or via phone, email, social media, texting, mobile applications, at a special event, face-to-face or in response to a solicitation
- We will only collect personal data that we have a need to know in order to acknowledge or process a donation or make the necessary arrangements to satisfy your enquiry and/or participation in a Habitat event.
- Before we request your personal data, we will advise you what the data is being collected for, how it will be used and ask you to confirm your agreement to these conditions by indicating in the “Tick box” or by signing a statement as appropriate.
- You may give Full Consent or Limited Consent. Full Consent enables Habitat to use the data for all the stated purposes and can keep you updated with progress reports, Habitat news and new opportunities. Limited Consent restricts the use of the data to only the primary purpose it was collected for and the data will be deleted after the primary purpose has been completed.
(b) Why do we hold and process personal data?
- Habitat may request from you, or you may volunteer to provide, your contact information, including your name, mailing address, phone number(s), social media handles and email address(es). We hold and process supporters’ personal data for a number of reasons including:
- To keep a record of donations made and actions taken by our supporters and our communications with them
- To comply with any statutory obligations
- To send our supporters marketing information about our projects, fundraising activities and appeals where we have consent or are otherwise permitted to do so
- To fulfil contractual obligations entered into with supporters
- To support volunteers, such as during build or fundraising events
- To support community-based fundraising and campaigning
- To ensure we do not send unwanted information to supporters or members of the public who have informed us they do not wish to be contacted
- Manage supporters’ accounts and provide customer service
- Offer sweepstakes, contests, giveaways or other promotions
- Enforce the website terms of service
- Perform other functions as described at the time Habitat for Humanity collects information
- If you make a donation or otherwise provide us with your information, Habitat for Humanity may contact you from time to time about opportunities to make additional donations or to provide you with information about upcoming programmes.
(c) When will we send you personalized marketing communications?
- Habitat may contact you for marketing purposes e.g. to keep you up to date on our work or to let you know how you can support that work, only where we have your consent or we are otherwise allowed to do so because of your prior engagement with Habitat, as explained further below (see (c) 5“Our reliance on your prior support”)
- We will make it easy for you to tell us if you would like to receive marketing communications from us and hear more about our work, and the ways in which you would like to receive this information. We will not send you marketing material if you tell us that you do not wish to receive it. Instructions for how to do so are below (see (j) “How to control what we send you or update your personal information”)
- Duration: Where you give us consent to send marketing information, Habitat will presume that your full consent will last for 24 months unless you have chosen the limited consent option. After this time, in order for us to update you, Habitat will seek your refreshed consent. You can update or withdraw your consent at any time. If you have chosen limited consent, your data will be deleted as soon as it is no longer needed.
- Habitat will presume a longer period of consent in several situations:
- Where you have committed to making a regular donation. In this situation, unless you withdraw your consent, we will treat consent as lasting until you cancel your donation, at which point your consent will expire 24 months after the date of your last donation.
- Where you have notified us that you will be leaving a legacy to Habitat.
- Where your name is associated with any financial transactions, that information is required by statute to be retained within our accounting system for 7 years.
- Our reliance on your prior support: You may also receive marketing material from Habitat if you have previously made a donation to Habitat. However, we will not rely on your prior consent if you have opted out of receiving emails, newsletters or other marketing material in your communications with Habitat.
(d) How and when do we obtain information about you?
- Habitat may obtain your personal data in the following circumstances:
- When you give it to Habitat when you make a donation, payment, sign up for one of our events or when you make an application for one of the housing programmes we offer.
- When you give it to Habitat indirectly. Sometimes your personal data is collected by an organisation acting on Habitat’s behalf such as a professional fundraising agency. In such cases, the agency is working on our behalf and we are the “data controller” responsible for the security and proper processing of your data.
- When you access Habitat’s sponsored social media sites including Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter or LinkedIn you make personal data available depending upon your settings or the privacy policies of these social media and messaging services.
- When information is publicly available such as in a newspaper or other media coverage and open postings on social media sites. Habitat will not retain such publicly available information on an ongoing basis without consent.
- The Habitat website may contain hyperlinks to websites owned by other organisations. These third-party websites have their own policies on privacy and cookies. Habitat cannot accept responsibility for the privacy practices of such third-party websites.
(e) What personal information might Habitat collect?
- Habitat will only collect personal data about you that is relevant to the type of transaction or project you have engaged in with us. For example, if you have made a donation we may need your name, contact details and bank account details to allow for the proper processing of the donation. Age, travel restrictions, personal building-related skills, health, next-of-kin and passport information will be required if you wish to join an international team.
- All personal data is stored on a restricted access system and is only available to staff on a need-to-know basis.
- Sensitive personal data. We do not collect your “sensitive personal data”, such as health or dietary information unless there is a clear reason for doing so. For example, we will have a need to understand any health limitations and also medications being used if you wish to join a Global Village international build project.
- All sensitive personal data is stored on a password-protected system to which only a limited number of relevant staff have access. It is deleted when it is no longer needed and is available for you to see and review it should you wish to do so.
(f) How will Habitat use your personal data? We will advise you when we request your personal data the reasons we wish to collect the data. These reasons could include any one or more of the following or other specified reason:
- For administrative reasons relating to your communications with us and ours with you.
- To confirm and recognize donations made to us
- In relation to correspondence you have entered into with us
- In relation to any statutory obligations we must comply with
- To assist in the event of an emergency that involves you
- For internal record keeping so as to keep a record of your relationship with us
- To implement any instructions you have given us with regard to withdrawing consent to send marketing information
- To use IP addresses to identify the location of users and to block disruptive use and analyse the geographic spread
- For marketing and fundraising purposes
- To analyse and improve the activities and content offered by the Habitat website to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience
(g) What about the personal data we provide to other Habitat organisations?
- We may share your information with another Habitat Organisation, such as in connection with your participation in a Global Village Build or to enable a National Organisation of a country in which you have expressed an interest, to update you about its programmes and marketing materials.
- Before we will share your personal data with another Habitat organisation, Habitat requires that the organisation receiving the data maintains security controls that will ensure that your data is securely stored and accessible only by appropriately trained personnel who have a legitimate need to know.
- Habitat understands that emails do not have inbuilt security that is sufficiently robust to ensure a high level of data privacy. We, therefore, discourage you from sending personal data by email and we always provide either online forms that can ensure secured data transmission or downloadable forms that you can print off, complete and post to us.
(h) Will we share your information outside the Habitat network?
- Facebook and Social Media sites: We may use your email address and phone number to match to your Facebook or other social media account in order to show you Habitat content while you use those services. We only do this where you have consented to receive marketing emails, either by opting in (where you reside within the European Economic Area) or by not opting out (where you reside elsewhere). We may also use your email address and phone number to link to Facebook or other social media sites in order to identify other users of these sites whom we believe would be interested in Habitat.
- You can prevent this use of your data by either updating your consent preferences directly with us at Habitat or via the social media sites.
- We will also comply with legal requests from third parties where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
(i) How long will Habitat keep your personal information?
- We will only hold your personal information on our systems only for as long as you continue to provide your consent. Consent will be presumed to expire after 24 months. Beyond that, we will hold your information only for as long as is necessary to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
- If you request that we stop sending you marketing materials, we will keep a record of your contact details and the detail of your request to enable us to comply with your wishes.
- Legacy income is vital to the running of the charity. In the event of a legacy contribution, we may keep personal information provided to us indefinitely, in order to carry out legacy administration and communicate effectively with the families of people who have left us legacies.
- Some information is required by law or by our external auditors to be retained for specified periods of time and for specified purposes. That information will generally be held on our Accounting system and will not be available for purposes other than what has been specified.
(j) How to control what we send you and update your personal information.
- The accuracy of your information is important to us. We want to ensure that we are able to communicate with you in ways that you are happy with and to provide information that is of interest to you.
- If you wish to change how we communicate with you or update the information we hold, then please contact us:
- To amend your contact details or preferences for any type of communication, email us: firstname.lastname@example.org including the details of the changes you want.
- To stop receiving newsletters and marketing materials either click on the “Unsubscribe” link of a newsletter you have received or email us: email@example.com including your specific request.
- In responding to a request to not receive marketing information, we will take all reasonable efforts to meet the following service:
- Emailed communications: 48 hours from receipt of email
- Mailed communications: 28 days from receipt of “do not mail” request. This period is longer than for other channels because of longer production times for mailing campaigns. Mostly, we would expect the change to be made much more quickly.
(k) How Habitat keeps your data safe.
- We ensure that there are appropriate technical controls in place to protect your personal details. For example, our online forms that ask for personal information are stored on networks that are password-protected, are accessible only on a need-to-know basis and are routinely monitored.
- All sensitive personal data is stored in a secure database, to which only a limited number of relevant staff have access. This data is deleted when it is no longer needed by us and is never shared with third parties. It is also available to you at any point should you wish to see it.
- Within Habitat, we undertake regular reviews of who has access to information that we hold to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff, volunteers or contractors.
- Where we share your data with a Habitat National Organisation, your information remains secure because the National Organisation is required by Habitat for Humanity International to have similar data protection measures in place as described in this policy.
- We may use external companies to collect or possess personal data on our behalf. We do comprehensive checks on these companies before we work with them and in our legal agreements we clearly set out our requirements regarding how they manage the personal data to which they have access.
- You may wish to check the policy each time you submit personal information.
- If you do not agree with any changes that have been made, please do not continue using the Habitat website to submit personal information to Habitat.
Charities Registration Number: CC28026